Friday, December 7, 2007

Food

I like cooking to the point that I cook in my head almost as often as anything else. I think the average person, when creating fantasy scenarios in a daydream, is either dying/fighting, having sex, or arguing. I do all those things and I cook as well. I think about what I want to eat, how I want to make it, and who I can convince to help me out. People like Ray are a complete fucking let down because they very rarely have "time" to eat, or claim to not be hungry (which makes no sense and is an outright lie).

So, as posted before, I do not cook as often as I would like. It's truly a bitch to research a recipe, buy the ingredients, do the prep and cook work, and then clean up. Especially when your roommate is prone to bouts of ignoring the dishes completely.

The last time I tried to do something big was a mediocre success. I invited a few people over for dinner, and the game plan was duck with a port wine reduction. No one in Cortland had fresh duck, and the frozen was about twice as expensive as I expected (from experiences back home in civilization). So I went with game hen, which was also frozen. However, as they are very small, I expected them to thaw quickly. No such luck.

The reduction took longer than expected. We didn't have a potato masher. The game hens refused to cook thoroughly. By the time the main entree was finished, we were already stuffed with potatoes (mashed by hand with a whisk), beans, and stuffing. So while we waited, we downed a few bottles of wine and played a few games. By the time the chickens were finished we were half drunk and full. Not good timing on my part.

No comments: