Saturday, January 27, 2007

In Regards to Failure...

So I went snowboarding with Ed, Ray, Brooks, and their friend Chris (who has some sick tattoos). The trip has been referenced by both Ray and Ed in their respective blogs, so I won't give more than a brief synopsis- We went snowboarding, it was my first time, I fell down a lot, got frustrated, and went down the mountain on my feet instead of my board. We then went and got some good dinner at a restaurant which is now extinct. If I was feeling poetic I would discuss that portion of the trip further with references to permanence of memory and mortality...but I'm not feeling that way.

So: 1) I don't feel that I was being a "bitch" for going down the mountain after my first run (essentially I gave up).
2)I also don't feel that I wasted my money.


1) The boots and board were both phenomenally heavy and sluggish. Being a smaller framed person I was having trouble moving them around, and getting back up after many many falls was very tiring. By the time we had started my second run, I was physically exhausted, which only added to my frustration.

I get very easily frustrated when I do not succeed at something. That is not to say I am terribly immature, or a sore loser, it's simply a part of my personality that I have always had. I am not naive enough to have thought "I am going to be the best snowboarder in the world on my very first try!" On the contrary: I was, as a whole, doing better than I actually expected to. However, falling down so often, and having such a hard time muscling the fucking board around was making me very irritated.

What made that even worse was having so many people around-- Were I failing on my own, or in a class of all beginners, I would have been able to take the spills much easier. Ray is a very good, very patient teacher so I did not feel pressure from him. However, I knew that I was slowing him down and taking away some of the fun of his first trip to the mountain this year. That made it worse (in my own head) and ultimately, I had gotten what I needed to out of the experience. Which leads to number 2...

2) Ray said he would have gotten more runs, if only because he had paid 50 dollars. I guess I don't view money the same as most people.

In my frustrated state, I was angry enough to quit. Not because I did not think I could not improve, or finally get the hang of it, but simply because I was not in the state of mind to learn or to have fun. To me, stopping was the only option- so I did stop.

However, looking back on it I had fun. That is, in my own mind, the experience was worthwhile and I do not look back on it in the same state of mind I had back then, on the mountain. As far as I'm concerned, I tried something new with my friends, saw some nice scenery, and had a satisfyingly battered body afterwards. That was worth the price to me.

2 comments:

rayhedrick said...

I didn't read this post until today. I have to give you SOME props I guess. I think, though, that if we ever go again, I won't be as patient. This will force you to just get up and get down the mountain.

What do you think?

Christopherj said...

i agree with rayhedrick...you did try but at the same time gave up but your reasoning behind stopping was good and well explained...i also believe that if you went again that would learn best by us just going far ahead of you and inturn you would have to catch up. this would work because you would feel obligated as a good friend to not give up and to make us all happy...beer is good