Friday, April 6, 2007

Podcasts

This week my group finished our third podcast. Well, as a member of that particular group it was only my second, because I did my first on my own. We discussed left vs. right brains, anthrax scares, irresponsible doctors and how funny Jessica's laugh is.

The experience of doing a podcast alone and with a group is quite different. I'm not sure how the other groups have been going through the process of creating their files, but ours has been very loose. When I pod casted alone, I wrote myself a page or two of what would become my recording, almost verbatim. When we work in our group, we sit in a circle and discuss what we though our main points of interest were, without the microphone on. We figure out a loose direction we want to go in, and then we just talk. It's very loose and because of that I think it sounds much more conversational, though not in a bad way. We're still discussing important topics but not in a stilted way.

Most group work is a total bitch. You get stuck with a bunch of mouth breathers and you invariably meet at the library where nothing is accomplished, and some girl bitches about grades the entire time. So far the podcast has been a surprisingly good experience. The group is fun, and the assignment is broad enough to allow us room to be creative in our own way. I definitely think more classes should involve this sort of medium. Since Ray is the only person reading this- Ray, what's your experience?

1 comment:

rayhedrick said...

I don't know what you're talking about... I've never read your blog before.